Thursday, December 17, 2009

Possum Trot at Knob Noster State Park


The 13th Annual Possum Trot was held at Knob Noster State Park in Missouri on 13 December, 2009.  I (Pete) went down with 11 other MNOC members to compete in this goat style orienteering event.  It was my first event of this type, which reminded me of Adventure Racing with the mass start, following, and sadistic course setters.  The course measured 15.1 km and included 600 meters of climb.  Contestants were allowed to skip any two controls on the course, which adds a little strategy in to the mix.

The weather was overcast, but relatively warm in the low 40's.  This was great for running, but the warmth melted the layer of snow, making for a muddy, slick track.  The 9AM start featured contestants from Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado and England.  36 in total including several Possum Trot champs, medalists from the US Champs, and one World Champion.

We got the maps two minutes early and I discussed potential skips with fellow MNOC racers.  Good potential double skips from 7-10 and 15-18.  Nice one control skips at 5,7,9,17,19,21,25 and 29.  My strategy was to be a follower for as long as I could hold on to the lead bunch. The race started and we flew.  Andrei, followed by 4-5 MNOC racers all in blue and white.  By the 4th control, after 5 climbs, we were pretty strung out, at least I was...  I navigated to the 5th control by watching the leaders leave the reentrant.  I knew I had to get back on the map.    I followed a racer toward the 6th control, but didn't understand his route choice and set out on my own.  Six and seven came easy and I decided to skip early and go straight to 10.  I could then grab the leaders as they came through a few controls down the road.  Well the leaders skipped also and I boomed the control. (wasted a lot of time).  The cue sheet listed a man made object, which I anticipated being somewhat larger than a 3/4 buried, rusty 55 gallon drum.  Anyway, I eventually found the control and went on to 11, bobbling it slightly and found Andrei and Ian coming up.  I tagged along on their run, contributing on a few control finds, but mostly observing Andrei's 20+ years of experience.  Andrei started pulling away after control 15 and was a ghost by the time we left 17.  I followed Ian and Jason until 18, where they decided to take their first skip.

I navigated the rest of the race solo.  Moving steadily, but not as quickly as I was during the collaborative effort.  A few lessons I am tucking away for future events:  not all slow go woods is slow go, all clear woods aren't clear, paths aren't always the easiest route (especially those churned up by horses that have since frozen).  I was still feeling pretty good coming into the last 5 controls, tired, but not tanked.  Coming in to 27 I started noticing more competitors and set my mind on catching them.  I didn't know if they were on the long or short course, but I could tell they were hunting the same controls.  I bobbled/boomed 28 and 29, which also caused positional changes among the top 6 finishers, and found my self in a sprint between myself and two others whose combined age is probably 10 years below mine.  Route choice helped me pass one and longer legs got me past the other.

I ended up 12th in a competitive field.  All those ahead of me have done multiple events of this type, except for one fleet footed female who proved to be a very adept follower.  I am looking forward to travelling down towards Kansas City again.

2 comments:

econutjob said...

Seems like you're avoiding speaking of the 'last' control. :)

Pete Wentzel said...

econutjob,

Correct racer, wrong race. I made sure to get all the controls this time around, even the easy ones...